*Schwartz have sent me Pepper & Garlic Steak seasoning for review, but all views are my own*
Pepper garlic and herb-crusted tofu steak recipe is the perfect weekend indulgence. Packed with flavour and super simple to make and also a stunning presentation on your dinner table.
I love spices
I am a total sucker for spices, honestly, you should see my spice cupboard. Yep, a simple spice rack is not enough for this spice lover! I’ve even outgrown the specially fitted spice drawers which would probably be enough for most people.
Although, I love to create my own blends I also love the fact that you can buy ready-made seasonings in the store. For this recipe I have teamed up with Schwartz, they have sent me their Pepper and garlic steak seasoning for review, but all opinions here are my own.
Pepper & Garlic steak seasoning
First of all, I love everything with pepper and garlic, its where yin meets yang if you know what I mean. When I received this recipe mix I knew exactly what to make; Tofu steaks!
Second, Tofu tends to have a reputation of being quite bland, but this does not have to be the case. Be brave using various spices and seasonings while creating your food. A good recipe mix can be a feast for your tastebuds.
And thirdly, I just have to mention, being a vegan blogger that this spice mix is completely vegan.
Veganuary made easy
I created this recipe, pepper garlic and herb-crusted tofu steaks, for my friends doing Veganuary as an encouragement for them to keep on going strong. Also, to show them that vegans can also eat indulgent steaks during the weekends.
Creating tofu steaks, pairing it with Schwartz pepper and garlic steak seasonings with panko bread crumbs and fresh herbs is an absolute winner in my books. I loved the taste the seasoning brought to the recipe and I hope all my vegan and non-vegan friends love this recipe as much as I do.
Pepper, garlic and herb-crusted tofu steaks
Garlic, pepper and herb crusted tofu steaks
- 450 g tofu
- 5 tbsp Oil for frying
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp Schwartz pepper and garlic steak seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 125 ml sparkling water
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Schwartz pepper and garlic steak seasoning
- Rinse and drain the tofu and cut into 4 thick slices. Then cut each slice in two. Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- For the first coating, mix together in a bowl 3/4 cups flour, 2 tbsp corn starch, 2 tsp Schwartz pepper and garlic steak seasoning, salt and pepper. Add 125 ml of sparkling water and stir until there are no lumps in the mix. Prepare the second coating by chopping the fresh parsley finely and add to a bowl with the 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs and 1 tsp of Schwartz pepper and garlic steak seasoning, mix well and set aside.
- Carefully coat the tofu in both coatings, starting with coating 1 and then 2. Set aside on a wired baking rack.
- Shallow fry the tofu in oil until golden and then place in a preheated oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes.
- You can be so creative with the sides for this dish. I just served mine with sweet potatoes, beans and a side salad, for a quick and easy lunch. But for an indulgent weekend meal, I would recommend roast potatoes and loads of veggies, both fresh and cooked.
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment down below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram @abiteofkindness