Delicious vegan chickpea crépes, perfect for a healthy filling breakfast. Stuffed with mushrooms and spinach for a nice savoury treat.
Recently I’ve been obsessing over these vegan chickpea crépes with spinach and mushroom filling. They are perfect for a weekend brunch or as a light lunch when working from home on weekdays. They are incredibly easy to make and taste absolutely delicious.
Before I went vegan I loved going to a café in Iceland that sold crépes with ham, cheese, rice, and mustard mayo sauce. They were my favorite treat. Now I occasionally make my own crépes which are very tasty but maybe not the healthiest choice. I needed to find a way to enjoy crépes without having to feel guilty for eating unhealthy. Then I came across chickpea crépes.
Why to use chickpea flour in crepes?
These vegan chickpea crépes are a perfect choice if you want to be a little bit healthier. Chickpea flour also called gram flour is naturally gluten-free and high in protein, iron, and fiber. It’s basically just ground up chickpeas. It’s a fantastic choice when it comes to making gluten-free options or to increase the protein ratio in your dishes.
Can chickpea crepes be made gluten-free?
It’s easy to convert this recipe to a gluten-free recipe. You only need to replace the wheat flour with gluten-free flour (I recommend using Bobs Red Mill One-to-One Gluten Free Baking Flour). You might also want to take care when adding the liquid because gluten-free flour can absorb liquid in a different quantity.
These chickpea crepes are:
- Can be made gluten-free
For other breakfast and brunch recipes, why not look at:
- Quick and easy vegan breakfast waffles
- Vegan savoury breakfast waffles
- Gluten-free maple and pecan granola
- Light and fluffy vegan pancakes
I hope you will like the recipe as much as I did. This was a total game changer for me when I tried it the first time. The crépes are best eating them while still warm. But you could still enjoy them the next day. Just pop them in the toaster or heat them on a pan and they will still be very nice.
Chickpea crépes with spinach and mushroom filling
- 1 cup Chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 Mushrooms
- 1/2 Bell pepper
- 1/2 cup Grated carrots
- 2 Handfuls of spinach
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric
- 1/8 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Oil for frying
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Spring onion
- Slices of lime
- Sift all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and give it a good stir around. Add the water and mix well to make sure there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Heat a nonstick pan to low-medium heat. Ladle the crépe mix onto the pan and cook for about 2 minutes each side. Time and heat can vary so just keep a close eye on them while baking. The crépes are ready to turn when you can see bubbles forming on them and they start to look a bit dryer.
- Dice the mushrooms, onion and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add the vegetables and sauté until the vegetables start to soften. Add the turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper followed by the spinach. Cook for a few minutes or until the spinach is soft.
- To assemble the crépes take one crépe and put it on the pan, add the filling and allow to heat on low heat. Serve with avocado, spring onions and a slice of lime.