Vegan savoury breakfast waffles with vegan cheddar, vegan smoky ham and spring onion. The perfect recipe for breakfast, brunch or even brinner.
The weekend is the perfect time to test new recipe ideas. With plenty of time and the best of all, my family is home and can serve as guinea pigs for my recipes. My husband, thankfully, always gives me an honest opinion. And I will be having plenty of that for the next couple of weeks as he will be working from home because of the Coronavirus.
Let’s remember to be kind
I want to take the chance to address these strange times we are facing. We know this is going to be hard, we know that some people are going to be hurt by the Coronavirus, thankfully most people will only be affected minimally but for others, this is a dangerous virus. While this is incredibly sad it also reminds me that the world we live in isn’t that big and we have to take care of each other when times are hard.
It’s a strange feeling being so far away from my family. Some of my family members are vulnerable and the thought of something happening to them is unbearable. This is not only the case for me. It’s the reality for so many others. This is why I want to remind everyone to be kind. A hug might not work for now but kind words, encouragement and helpfulness is always appropriate. Now is the time to stick together and show how humanity works.
I came up with this recipe the other day when I was daydreaming about the perfect weekend brunch. I love waffles and I love savoury breakfast, so creating these savoury waffles was the perfect solution!
These savoury breakfast waffles tick all my boxes for a perfect breakfast or brunch. As much as I am a sweet tooth, I rarely fancy a sweet breakfast and usually always end up having something savoury instead, such as a toast, porridge or tofu scramble.
Making savoury waffles is such a great way to make a quick and easy breakfast, you could even make them ahead of time, freeze them and then thaw them in the toaster for a quick and easy breakfast.
These vegan savoury breakfast waffles are:
For other breakfast and brunch recipes check out these:
- Quick and easy vegan breakfast waffles
- Gluten-free maple pecan granola
- Vegan chickpea crepes with spinach and mushroom filling
Vegan savoury breakfast waffles
Savory Breakfast waffles
- Waffle maker
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup silken tofu
- 3/4 cup soya milk or other plant-based milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 80 g Vegan cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 slices of Quorn smoky ham free slices
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onions
- 4 large mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
Maple mustard dressing
- 1/4 cup Plant-based sour cream or mayonaise
- 1 tbsp sweet yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by cutting the Quorn smoky free slices finely and fry on a pan until golden. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In a second bowl add the silken tofu (if the silken tofu is solid, mash it so it becomes almost liquified), soya milk, and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mix and combine well.
- Add the smoky ham, cheddar cheese, and spring onions and mix.
- Divide the batter into four batches, cook two at a time in a Belgian waffle iron.
- Meanwhile, chop the mushrooms into slices, sauté on a pan on medium-high heat.
- To make the dressing combine the vegan sour cream or mayonnaise, mustard and maple syrup in a bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine everything together and enjoy!